Monday, June 28, 2010

(Man/Husband) Skin Art

When I was 19 years old I wanted a tattoo. I had it all planned out in my head as to what I wanted. The only thing I didn't do was actually go out and get it. And thank God. There were things on that potential tattoo I would not want people to see. Not because of anything offensive but because I stood behind certain values that are not as important to me now. I wouldn't want my tattoo to misrepresent me.

Well, Daisy became pregnant and I started to feel old. She knew I had wanted a tattoo for a while and finally conceded on one condition. That I never got another one. This was my big shot. A tattoo for the ages. I spent time talking to people about tattoo artists around town. I visited some of the parlors. I talked to a couple of artists to see if they were complete a**holes. I asked a lot about different kinds of inks and spacing. Then I found him. He seemed to appreciate the fact I had an idea as to what I wanted. He said people will come in wanting a tattoo and stand there. He will ask what they want and they would reply, "I don't know. What do you think?" I could see if the client didn't want to hold any responsibility he could always blame the artist.

"Hey Frank! Why do you have a tattoo of Smurfette on your calf?"

"The tattoo artist said it would be cool ok?"

"Is that pac-man on your wrist?”

“Shut up.”

If you put “Stupid Tattoos” into Google and click on images you will find many pictures that will both fascinate and disturb. And this was Daisy’s point. Her argument was she has not come along too many tattoos that are worth a damn. She also said all the other things you often hear such as…..it’s permanent, what if the picture is a fad, and it will sag along with your skin. I felt my research and thought process had eliminated many of the pitfalls that would land my picture on the stupid tattoo images in Google. Besides, I only have one body and I wanted the experience.

I wanted a few things:

1) Black ink only.
2) I wanted to be able to see it.
3) I wanted it medium sized.
4) In a conservative spot (I didn’t want to regret its placement in case it did, in fact, look stupid after the honeymoon period wore off).
















Here is the tattoo half way finished (upon Kelly’s request). If I had it my way I would continue the portrait all the way down to my knee. I have an idea as to what else I want but Daisy won’t budge. Would all of you support me with a yes vote? If you think no then, in all seriousness, say what you think.

4 comments:

  1. In all seriousness I have a fondness for tattoos myself. I currently have three. I agree with the idea that says you need to choose well.

    I vote yes but only if you really want the tattoo.

    Can't wait to see when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister has about 6 or 7 and I like them all. Thanks for the yes vote Kelly. With you on my side, how can I go wrong? Do you hear that often?

    ReplyDelete