Sunday, August 15, 2010

(Husband) Grief III

No April rain
No flowers bloom
No wedding Saturday within the month of June
But what it is, is something true
Made up of these three words that I must say to you

I just called to say I love you
I just called to say how much I care
I just called to say I love you
And I mean it from the bottom of my heart

Goodbye Daisy. Goodbye. Goodbye. (whispering now) goodbye.

5) Acceptance – "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."

I didn’t make it to this part. I got off of work, stopped by the corner market to buy a six pack of 16 oz Rolling Rock beer in a can for 5 dollars. I drive up to our house and our car was in the driveway. “What the hell?”

I walk in the door to see Daisy at the top of the stairs staring at me as if she had seen a ghost. “Did I scare you?” I said.

“Just don’t do that ever again.”

I thought it was a bit of an overreaction but sure, I could come into the house a little quieter. Daisy let me know very soon after that she came home early because she thought I was being passive aggressive in my jokes and really wanted she and the boys to come back early.

I was flabbergasted and defensive. “Are you kidding? How long have you known me Daisy? We have been together 14 years and you don’t know my sense of humor yet? Look, I have white trash beer and was going to Red Box in a bit. I was going to have a blast.” I then found out she had called mutual friends to ask them if they had heard from me because she was unable to reach me at the office (our phones had already gone to the answering service).

My cell phone rang and it was our answering service telling me I had a client at the ER and needed to call him. I went upstairs, talked to him, and everything turned out fine. When I was coming back downstairs Daisy was on the phone asking her friend if she had overreacted. Evidently her friend, Shyamalan (Rhino’s wife), said my jokes are dry and she can’t always tell when I am kidding. Daisy and Shyamalan concluded I have absolutely no hidden meaning/manipulation behind anything I ever say. Although any Psychologist worth their salt would disagree, I think it’s safe to assume they are right.

Now it's time for you to weigh in.  What percentage of frontal lobe function do I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment