Sunday, August 15, 2010

(Husband) Grief I

Update: The frontal lobes are considered our emotional control center and home to our personality. There is no other part of the brain where lesions can cause such a wide variety of symptoms (Kolb & Wishaw, 1990). The frontal lobes are involved in motor function, problem solving, spontaneity, memory, language, initiation, judgement, impulse control, and social and sexual behavior.

A friend of mine read this post and jokingly said I am constantly "borrowing" Daisy's frontal lobes. In other words, Daisy helps me make better decisions because she acts as my conscious. When left alone with my own frontal lobe functions I make poor decisions such as the phone calls I made to her. Read and see if she is right.


I have a private practice in two different cities a half hour apart. One part I love about it is I get to wear the same outfit twice a week.

Side note: There was a banging sound on Beast’s door just now so I went to investigate.

“What are you doing? Are you hitting the door?”

“No, I’m kicking it.”

“No more kicking OK?”

“OK”

I came back to the computer and heard it again. I went back to his room.

“Beast, I said no more kicking.”

“But I was hitting it with my head. Is that better?”

“Uh………..sure.”

Anyway, I see clients in the town I do not live in from 10 am until 10 pm and have an 8 am client the next day with my last client ending at 8 pm. I was going to stay the night at a friend’s house who lives in that town and come back to my home late the next day. Daisy left to visit her folks at the same time I left to go to work and was going to spend two nights there with the kids. I knew she was climbing a mountain out of cell phone range and would be able to leave obnoxious messages on her voicemail. I decided to go through the stages of grief with my messages. Unfortunately my office doesn’t have Internet access and I left my cell phone at home so I just kept calling from a land line when I had time between sessions. Daisy said I left almost 30 minutes worth of messages over two days so I’ll abbreviate.

1. Denial – "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."

(Beep) Daisy, I just wanted you to know I’m doing great. Work is wonderful. I can’t wait to see my next client because I really feel like we are connecting and he is beginning to trust me. I’m going to get a burger for lunch at this great place and have a little bit of time to read this book I have wanted to start for a couple of weeks now. I hope you are enjoying the mountain and the kids are having fun at Grandma’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment