Monday, May 24, 2010

(Husband) Maine Goodbye

We stayed with Pacific and Atlantic Beaver this last week. We slept in the Beaver house, ate their food, drank their alcohol, and drove their car. Daisy and I wanted to get them a gift. Here is the story we had them read before the giving them their outstanding prize just two hours ago. We will be home in a couple of days. I fulfilled my Monday posting promise and am very proud of myself!

We could not have had a successful vacation without your help. You have certainly gone above and beyond what we could have ever expected. The trip is coming to a close and so we only saw fitting that we present a gift offering to you both. How could we satisfy the hearts of two people who have varied interests? Wine? Chocolate? Ice Cream? No to all of the above. We represent the Goose name and with great power comes great responsibility. Therefore, the gift must be unique, intelligent, creative, and beautiful. Just like the Beaver Family itself. But where can we find such a prize? Hour after frustrating hour went by without any idea coming close to what would fulfill our expectations. After several brainstorming sessions which including writing lists, scratching out lists, resharpening of pencils, pounding table tops, a couple of shouting matches, and even some tears, we realized we needed a break.

We walked through several stores and then found a bench to rest on. Daisy sat with her elbows on her knees and head resting in her hands. As I watched, she slowly massaged her temples. I sighed and looked up at the ceiling. Daisy let out a slight groan so I looked to my right to see her. She put her hair behind her ear, gathered herself, and looked in my eyes. She finally uttered the words neither one of us wanted to say or hear. “We have to settle fo…………”

"Stop. I already know what you are going to say."

"Doc G. You and I both kno....."

“Daisy please, for the love of God.” I looked up and saw several people staring. One mother covered her toddler’s ears and hurried her away. Shame and embarrassment overcame me and at that point I knew I was not only hurting myself but Daisy as well. I chuckled and shook my head. “I’m sorry Daisy, I didn’t think it would be this hard.”

Daisy lightly touched my shoulder.“ It’s just as much my fault as it is yours Doc G. We just couldn’t get it done this time.” Several minutes passed in silence. Daisy put her hand under my elbow and the other under my wrist, prompting me to a standing position. “I think it’s time.” With chin quivering and brow furrowed, I found my balance. My eyes began to refocus.

And then I saw a reflection of light. “Daisy!” I said. I took a few steps toward it.

“What is it?”

“Look!!” I shouted. I pointed toward the box. “LOOK!!!”

The light reflected greater and greater until it shone as bright as the sun.

Mr. & Mrs. Beaver. Welcome to your gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment