Thursday, February 24, 2011

(Father/Husband) The Estate



Do you love our new home?  We put in a bid, it was accepted, and now we are getting it inspected today.  Daisy and I have been married almost 12.5 years and have always rented our living quarters.  During that time we were able to save 2 million dollars.  Of course I'm kidding.  But it certainly feels as if we have.  The mortgage is about 100 dollars more than our current place but it feels as if it will be twice that amount with the stress involved.

Of course the kids could care less.  All they were worried about was if they could bring their toys.  But buying a home is both the curse and reward for being an adult. 

"Why can you stay up late and I can't?"

"Because I'm an adult"

"Why can you eat ice cream for dinner and I can't?"

"Because I'm an adult"

"Why do you get to vote, drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and buy lottery tickets and I can't?"

"Because I'm an adult"

"Why are you crying into your bowl of cheerios?"

"Because I'm an adult and mom has to sleep with creepy men to pay our bills."

Now that we are in the process of purchasing a home buying a dollar cheeseburger from McDonalds is paying too much.  Buying alcohol is a double edged sword because it costs money but numbs the pain.  When stress comes it makes other stressors, which would normally be tolerable, that much worse.  Beast had surgery to remove his adenoids which was a rather simple procedure.  The night before, Daisy called me to come home before he went to bed because she was worried it might be the last time I would see him. 

The reactions we have received have either been with praise or with warnings of extra expenses.  With the warnings I want to plug my ears.  A "helpful" comment about lawn care and I freak out.

"I know, I know, I know!  If there is an earthquake and our house gets sucked into the earth we might regret the decision."  Anyway, I'm off to work an 18 hour day to make sure my kids have clothes to wear and food to eat.  They specifically said they want the house more than time with me.  Wait, that might have been Daisy.

1 comment:

  1. No worries Dr. Goose. It's a buyer's market, mortgage rates at historic lows, and with a little bit of due diligence (like a professional inspection), you can't go wrong in purchasing a house. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete